Saturday, April 26, 2008

If Loving Soulja Boy is Wrong, I Don't Want To Be Right

I said that I would blog about my love for rap music so here it is. Like my love for the golden arches, people are often surprised when they learn of my love for rap/ hip-hop music. I wonder why? Perhaps at first glance I don't look like the type that would appreciate the toe-tapping beats of gangsta rap. Maybe it's my J-crew headbands, or maybe its the pearl earrings and lacoste polos I wear. Regardless, people stereotype me as probably listening to the likes of Miley Cyrus and Maroon 5. And believe me, I do. However, sometimes I just need a little thug if you know what I'm saying. Some rap can energize me and some rap can relax me. I will share a personal example. A couple months ago, Jackson and I were having a little "tiff" in the car. It wasn't anything major or serious, just a scuffle. Then, in the background, I heard "Soulja Boy" playing on the radio. I had to say to Jackson, "Hey, hold that thought, I just need to listen to this..." So I cranked up Soulja Boy and rocked out, loving every minute of the 3 minute song. It was honestly therapeutic for me. After the song was over, I turned down the radio and more calmly proceeded to discuss the issue at hand. Who knew that Soulja Boy could help a marriage? I like to give credit where credit is due.

Not only can rap be therapeutic, it is just plain fun to listen to. I can't dance to anything else as well as rap. The beat is just so good for dancing. Not that I really dance anymore to rap music since the era of high-school prom is over...but sometimes in the privacy of my own home, I'll bust out some moves. Even though Jackson insists I dance like a "white girl" (huh?) I really think I have some good rhythm that is uncharacteristic of my white sistas. I think my family can attest to this...

Where did I acquire this love for rap music? You might say..."I get it from my momma". My mother, yes sweet Teri Rigell, has been spotted driving a totally pimped out Navigator, riding low, rapping to Nelly's "Grillz"...as in "Smile for Daddy, I wanna see your grill....yep your grill yep yep your grill...rob a jewelry store and tell 'em make me a grill!" I kid you not. It's in my blood people. My mother and I both have an ability to listen to a song only a couple times and then know all the words. So when I hear a rap some once or twice, I know most of the words so I can and do rap along. It is a source of great entertainment for my friends.

I think that pretty much concludes my love for rap.

3 comments:

Lindsey Burke said...

Marta, your blog is fantastico, ummm, wonderful, should I say magnificent...said in my best Alberto voice of course! You have me howling on the floor with laughter with each post. And they are being made almost daily, two snaps to a non-boring blogger! Much love my little prego siesta! (I am highly disturbed I just used the word siesta in an actual written sentence!)

MeghanDarlson said...

OH MY GOSH! That blog post was priceless! THE REAL MALLORY is BACK!

Jaime said...

Drop it like its hot, siesta!! Can't wait to see your "moves" with baby Brooks in the belly. That will be awesome!