Monday, July 21, 2008

Is baking part of "nesting"?



I've heard of the "nesting" instinct that pregnant women get and I'm wondering if it includes baking. So far, everything I've read describes nesting as a "strong urge to clean" or "prepare for the arrival of the baby". But I'm wondering if I'm experiencing some weird strain of nesting that includes a strong urge to bake. Over the past week I have felt like Betty Crocker or something. It started last week when I wanted something sweet. It was already 9:00 PM so I rummaged in my pantry and whipped up some snickerdoodle cookies. Then last weekend I really wanted to make homemade buttermilk blueberry pancakes for breakfast. So I found a recipe and whipped that up. They were so divine. Melt in your mouth pancakes. Jackson and I both swore we will never make pancakes from a mix again! Then, I got the urge to bake a cake of some sort. So I made a Barefoot Contessa Lemon Cake. It was kind of like a lemon pound cake and it was simply to die for!! So moist and delicious...it required 7 real lemons to make! Soo worth it! After the cookies, pancakes and cake...I really was in the mood for banana bread. So I found a recipe (all my recipe come from foodnetwork.com fyi) and made my first homemade banana bread! It was so yummy! Jackson and I have been eating it for breakfast for the past few days. Amazing.

All of this baking/homemade cooking has gone down in about a week and a half. I'll be sitting around at night and this urge will come over me to be in the kitchen baking. I really can't explain it. Jackson is certainly appreciative and loves it when I bake. He loves all baked goods so I can't go wrong. I've always liked cooking, but I've never been a baker and I certainly don't usually make 3 baked goods a week! I hope it sticks! We are both enjoying the sweet treats around the house.

I'm actually contemplating baking all of our bread. I think it would save money (not that we can't afford to buy bread, but hey...we are in a recession!). Plus I kind of like the idea of baking my family's bread for the week. I'll feel like I'm a Proverbs 31 wife (minus the whole servant girls thing...I wish).

Verse 15:She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls.

I'm thinking I'll make one loaf of whole wheat bread, a loaf of a quickbread for breakfast and one desert a week. This will probably last one week :) If you know me well you know I get excited about ideas like this and then move on to something else. I'll photo-document my next day in the kitchen so you can feel a part of my Betty Crocker ways! Bon Appetit!




Don't these pictures make you wish you lived in the 1950s? Sometimes I wish I did.

3 comments:

THE DARLSON'S said...

I feel this maybe a craving situation more than a nesting thing.... you are going to give Parks a sweet tooth!!!! SEE YOU IN NYC COUSIN! I CAN'T WAIT TO GIVE BABY PARKS A PAT!

Megan said...

Wow, what a homemaker. I love it. It sounds so cozy in your house I can nearly smell the fresh bread.

Jaime said...

Clabber girl it up!