Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Bumkins?

UPDATE:

Jackson's reaction to my Bumkins musings...

Me: So, I've been doing some research on something and I think it will save us a lot of money...

Jax: What?

Me: Well, I'm interested in doing cloth diapers...

Jax: CLOTH DIAPERS?!

Me: Yes

Jax: NO WAY!

Me: Why not?!

Jax: I don't want to be bringing home nasty poop diapers from Minneapolis!

TO BE CONTINUED....


I don't know if the pregnancy hormones are going to my brain or what...but I am seriously considering cloth diapers (gasp!). One of my sister's friends just had a baby and she is doing cloth diapers and that got me thinking about that. I've been doing some research and I'm going to talk it over with the hubs. There is a lot to be said in favor of cloth diapers. They are so much better for the environment and they are definitely more economical. Here are some scary statistics:

- Disposable diapers are the third most common consumer product in landfills today.
- A disposable diaper may take up to 500 years to decompose.
- One baby in disposable diapers will contribute at least 1 ton of waste to your local landfill.
- According to a recent report about Disposable Diapers from Consumer Reports, "You can expect to spend $1,500 to $2,000 or more on disposables by the time your baby is out of them."

Yikes! None of that sounds good to me. Especially the $2,000 in diapers. Hello...that could be going in Parks' college fund not in a local landfill!

Luckily, if I do decide to cloth diaper I live in one of the most organic, hippie loving cities I know of...good old Charlottesville. I will probably be in good company if I decide to swaddle little Parks' bum with organic cloth.

Does anyone know anything about cloth diapering? I'd love to hear the pros and cons. I know cloth diapers are slightly less convenient at times but from what I've read/researched it does seem like they have come a long, long way.

This might be me and my little bumkins buddy in 9 weeks!



7 comments:

Megan said...

mmm...cloth diapers. I am not a mother but I do change 13 two-year-olds diapers on a daily basis and boy, are some of them nasty. I love the idea of not being wasteful but it sure feels good to bunch up that heavy, poop-filled diaper and throw it in the pail - never to be seen again!

Jaime said...

ummm....

I think I would be blessed to see you try to deal with cloth diapers. Do it, Siesta! I've never had a friend pioneer this front. You would be such a complex case study. I think poop bag stentch could be masked by your designer diaper bag and Angel perfume, so no worries.

This is going to be good...

Jaime said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Dana said...

Hey Mal - some of my friends use cloth diapers. In fact, one has a blog posting dedicated to teaching moms how to use cloth diapers. http://www.xanga.com/sceebb/643438019/you-use-cloth-diapers.html

I'm all for them - save money and Mother nature, how better can you glorify God?! But then again, I don't have kids. :)

THE DARLSON'S said...

Hey Mal,

I can't believe you are due in 9 weeks! Time fly's when you have a 4 month old :) Well, I have been cloth diapering for about 3 weeks now and it is great! Of course it is more work but when you are a stay at home Mom what's the big deal? I am still trying to figure out brands I like and figure out a good system give me another month to figure it all out and I will have some recomendations for you.

Meghan

christa said...

my friend just had a baby on Saturday and is lined up with a local cloth diaper service, starting in a week. want me to get the scoop from her?

Anonymous said...

Hi, I found your blog because I did a google search to find out if baking was indeed a part of nesting (I am 39 weeks and want to bake every recipe I see)! Then I read a couple of your blogs and saw that you were thinking of using cloth diapers. I am doing the same and everyone thinks I'm nuts, but I have a friend who told me about G diapers. You can just google G diapers and their website comes up - they are kind of a hybrid diaper 1/2 cloth, 1/2 disposable, but instead of using the disposable part she uses a regular old cloth diaper and just changes that part out each time. She swears by it and I think it sounds like a good compromise so I am going to try it. I don't normally write on random people's blogs but I just found it really difficult to find good info on cloth diapering and thought it may help you out. Congrats!