Monday, October 27, 2008

CVS: Part 1

NOTE TO MEN: THIS POST CONTAINS BRIEF MENTION/VISUAL OF FEMININE PRODUCTS, JUST WANTED TO GIVE YOU FAIR WARNING.

Some of you know that recently I have been intrigued by the world of bargain shopping...specifically, CVS bargain shopping. I found this blog called "Money Saving Mom" and it is really fascinating. This Christian stay at home mom has created a website where she shares her frugal ways with many readers. She really is amazing. She feeds her husband and two little girls on $40/week! Her grocery budget also includes household products like toiletries and cleaning products! Holy Cow! When I read that I was put to shame. I mean let's be honest...it's hard for me to spend less than $100/week on groceries for only two people!! I starting thinking that if I could adopt even a few of her strategies, it would make a substantial difference in our budget.

So, I started reading about the CVS rewards program on her blog. She has a very informative section about how the program works and how to work it to your advantage. I thought I would give it a try so I ordered my rewards card online and wanted to start earning my ECBs (extra care bucks).

Today was my first day shopping at CVS. It was exciting. I researched the sales at my CVS online before I went and picked the products I needed the most and that generated the most ECBs. I was kind of nervous when I went in there. I was wondering if the sales would work, if I had purchased the right products to get the ECBs, etc. Here are the stats for my first trip. I know that any veteran CVS shoppers who might stumble upon this post would probably gasp at my initial expenditure but hey, I did the best I could.

Total money spent: $86.26
Total ECBs earned: $30.00

Items Purchased:

6- 12 pack diet pepsi's
Dayquil/Nyquil 40 count
Claritin 24 count
2 Colgate toothpastes
2 Always pads
3 pack Irish Springs Soap
Softsoap bodywash
3 packs of Duracell Batteries
4 SoyJoy bars


This means that now I have $30 to spend at CVS on anything I want. But, the smart way to work the system is to spend those ecbs on the next sales that will generate more ecbs so you constantly have ecbs to spend at CVS and end up having to spend very little out of pocket for a lot of very useful products.

I plan on using the CVS deals to purchase things like toiletries, cleaning products, detergents, paper products, medicines, etc. Think about how much this would help your budget to never have to "pay" out of pocket for these things again! Some of the things we won't use immediately, like the diet pepsi and toothpaste I just bought. But, when we do need it in a few weeks or months, I won't have to spend any money at the grocery store. I will just go to my little stockpile in the basement and get the products I need! I am really excited about this and will let you know how it goes.

Here is a pic of my goods:




Happy Bargain Shopping! Let me know if you have any tips or know anything about CVS bargain shopping.

5 comments:

Cousin Mattie said...

i love that blog!!! lol, makes me want to do the same. because i LOVE cvs!! thanks for the blog. hope your doing great! love you

Jaime said...

I find it hysterical that the preggers will use the always pads before the diet pepsi or toothpaste. Unbelievable.

I am intrigued with your ecb. I especially like the idea that my makeup expenditures could fly under hubs radar by using my ecb to purchase them. What is the turn around on the ecb? Do they come in the mail? I need answers before I commit, but I am curious.

If you ate 365 mac n cheese for every meal and used homemade recycle flour sak diapers I think you could feed your family for under $25 bucks a week. It's worth considering. Muhahaha!!!

Mallory said...

Hey-I'm preparing for the heinous postpartum horror stories I've been hearing!

Anonymous said...

do you know that you have to buy dayquil/nyquil and claritin behind the pharmacy counter? i just recently found out how many people are unaware that the ones sitting on the normal shelves are missing the key ingredients that are effective. they keep them behind the counter bc they regulate the amt a person buys - the effective ingredients can be used to make meth or something...strange.

Grams said...

Be sure to check the expiration date on your ECB's. Papa thinks it's a fun game when he gets his
"$10 off on next $50 purchase", but they expire so he keeps going to CVS before they expire and spends $50 so he can save $10 and has soooo much stuff stockpiled, how does he quit without losing $10???