Friday, October 17, 2008

Full Circle

I feel that I must bring everyone up to speed with my decision on diapering. After careful thought and consideration, I have decided that I will use disposable diapers. I want to thank all of you for your input, comments and suggestions on the whole diapering debate. I had some very helpful conversations with people who actually do cloth diapering day in and day out and those conversations helped me make the decision that I feel is right for me.

That said, I think cloth diapering is great and would support anyone's decision to do it. It just seems extremely time-intensive if you don't use a diaper service and if you do use a diaper service...you really aren't saving any or very much money. One mom said that on diaper laundry day she spends about 4 hours going through all the cycles and getting them clean when she would rather be playing with her son. Also, I've been made aware of the extreme amounts of water and detergent you have to use in order to properly clean the diapers and that doesn't sound very eco-friendly either. I don't think disposable diapers are great for the environment or anything, but cloth diapers have their environmental shortfalls as well.

Pampers here we come!

2 comments:

THE DARLSON'S said...

There is always eco friendly disposables, Seventh Generation makes some also there is a company called Gdiapers. We are doing a half and half system. I am saving money but maybe others do it differently. I only wash diapers every 3-4 days. I throw them in and leave it to go on a hot cycle and then a cold rinse then I put them in to dry and organize them that night when Adalie is in bed. Takes about 15 mins. Not very time consuming for me.....

Katie Hatcher said...

Since you are going disposable, you should know that after some trial and error I found Pampers Swaddlers to be the best. They are the least bulky, yet somehow manage to wisk the moisture away from Baby. A friend recommended them to me, and now I feel I must pass on the wisdom! Hope I'm not jinxing us, but Brooke has yet to get a bad diaper rash!