Saturday, November 15, 2008

Great Success!

This week's grocery trip to Giant was a success! This is my second time shopping at Giant and I can't say enough good things about it.

This is what I bought for our groceries this week:




Total before deals and coupons: $135.15
Total after deals and coupons: $97.78
Total Savings: $35.86

I was soo excited! Lest you think I had $30 worth of coupons, let me tell you about the deals at Giant this week.

They had a deal going with Kraft products so if you buy 5 Kraft products, you automatically get $5 deducted from your total grocery bill. So I got Breakstone's sour cream, 2 philadelphia cream cheeses, and 2 cracker barrel cheese blocks. Then, they had a $5 off any $50 purchase coupon in their circular this week that I clipped and used. So that was $10 worth of Giant's special promos.

Then, the regular Giant savings with my Bonus Card totaled $21.71! That is a ton of money to save on groceries! I wasn't kidding when I said their deals were good.

Then, I saved $3.45 with my coupons. I am going to get a Sunday newspaper tomorrow for the coupons so that I can get the kinds of coupons that Giant will double. If my coupons were all from the newspaper instead of the internet, then Giant would have doubled them and I would have saved $6.90 in coupons!

What I've loved most about this "bargain shopping" so far is that it allows me to feel successful within our current budget. I hope that eventually I can decrease the amount of money we need in our grocery budget because I will get better at working the deals. But right now, it is so nice to feel like I can actually feed us good, healthy meals for a whole week...while also being able to buy things like ice cream and orange juice that used to be "luxuries"..haha! I feel like I can get so much more food now and keep us in the same budget which has been so enjoyable. We also have ended up eating out a lot less now that we have good, yummy meals to look forward to each night.

Here are the dinner meals I have planned for the week:

Roasted Chicken Breast with Sweet Potato Casserole and Biscuits

Teriyaki Chicken Stir-Fry with Veggies and Rice

Steak Fajitas

Chicken Tortilla Soup and Crescent Rolls

Pork Chops with Cherry Glaze, Green Bean Bundles and Crescent Rolls

Beef Chili with Biscuits

If you have any strategies for saving money on groceries or if you know of any great deals, please share them!

4 comments:

Grams said...

I am getting a huge kick out of your resourcefulness. When I saw the picture of your groceries, I immediately wanted to know your menus. I love your menu for the week. Gives me ideas. Love to you. Keep it up. You're doing great. Quite an inspiration!

Jaime said...

I cannot keep up with your domestic ways, siesta. I think you need to teach a break-out sesh at our spring Women's ministry Event on being a Titus 2 housekeeper. You make me look like a grocery glutton with my $10 container of Peppermint Bark that HAD to purchased from Whole Foods. I shall eat Peppermint Bark for weeks and nothing else.

Clip away, friend. I have much to learn!

Megan said...

thanks for pointing out the coupons! I hadn't even looked for them - off to the Super G I go.

Grace said...

If you get a kick out of coupon clipping, you'll love Ebates. Up to 26% cash back from shopping online at hundreds of stores (Target, Gap, Ebay) and $10 just for signing up!
http://www.ebates.com/refer-a-friend/amb1114.htm?referrerid=%2BO4QJKqCLU61%2BlJ3tg2%2B3A%3D%3D