Friday, March 20, 2009

Marriage Under Attack

This post is a rant. I am so SICK of the assault on marriage in our culture. It is a disgrace. I've been watching a lot of ABC programming lately and I have seen two separate attacks on marriage this week. The first was on Good Morning America and they were talking about this disgusting website called "Ashley Madison" that is specifically for married people looking to cheat! It is like eHarmony for married people looking to have an affair. Can you believe this? I was appalled. They interviewed the CEO and he was saying that most American married people would cheat if they could be guaranteed there would be no repercussions. My blood was boiling over this website and hearing this man talk about it.

Oprah was the next offender...suprise, suprise! Oprah spews out such a load of CRAP everyday and Americans are stupid enough to listen to it and believe it. Can you tell I'm a little angry about this? It bothers me so much that people act like Oprah is God. She is not and one day everyone will know that. So here's what happened, the brilliant Jenny McCarthy was being interviewed and of course she is talking about her relationship with Jim Carrey. She was basically bragging about how she didn't have to be married to have a good relationship. Then she comes up with this stupid analogy. She says, "Marriage should be like a drivers license, every four years you should get to renew it or let it expire...bahahaha!". Oprah thinks that is the best idea ever and says, "Yes, as humans we are always evolving and marriage should evolve too!".

Marriage should not evolve people! Thomas Jefferson said, "On matters of style, swim with the current, on matters of principle, stand like a rock." I could not agree more. Marriage is a matter of principle. It is literally the foundation of our society, it is the foundation of the family. It is so important that I shudder to think about what the world would be like without strong marriages. Marriage is something that Satan desperately wants to destroy. As believers we need to stand up for marriage and not tolerate these assaults. Being aware that marriage is under attack is half the battle. It is easy to let our culture's lies seep into our brain and become part of our belief system without us even realizing it.

Marriage is not easy, it is hard work. But marriage is not a drivers license that you get to renew or let expire, it is a life long commitment. When it comes to marriage, turn off Oprah and open the Word of God. Only Christ can truly sustain a marriage through life's ups and downs and give you the strength to "renew" every year.

6 comments:

D:No said...

Word. Thanks for the encouragement about not letting me get brainwashed to think like the world.

Dana

Jaime said...

Amen, siesta! You should have preached my message tonight instead of me.

Wish my siesta was here!

ClaireWilliams said...

I agree!!! And I think your honesty is refreshing! ;)

Megan said...

I completely agree...especially with the part about Oprah, she drives me nuts!!! Who does she think she is?? GAG. Anyways, love the rant.

Grams said...

You're the best You can say it all so perfectly. I love the reminder that "on principle, stand like a rock". I'm so proud of you!

Anonymous said...

didn't tj have an affair?...just wondering...
- lauren fisher
ps- can't wait to meet your little guy :)