Sunday, April 5, 2009

Calling All Moms


I'd like for my mom readers to weigh in here. I'm debating trying some rice cereal with Parks and I'd like some opinions. First of all, my goal was to nurse exclusively for as long as possible (probably around 6 months). Then after that, I'd continue to nurse in addition to feeding him solids for the first year. This past week has called my plan into question. Parks has been sleeping anywhere from 10-12 hours at night for the past 5 + weeks. Lately, he has been waking at 4:00 am wanting to eat! I nurse him and he goes right back down. Now I know some of you moms are like "Oh cry me a river!". I realize one 4 am feeding at 4 months is not much to complain about, but for a baby that was previously sleeping 10-12 hours, I'm not real excited about returning to the early morning feeding. So, my question is...is this a sign that he is ready for more calories, i.e. time to try some rice cereal? Also, his naps have not been nearly as solid and he wakes frequently during them instead of sleeping soundly for 1.5 to 2 hours like he used to be doing.

Will it hurt him to try this early? I've been hearing the longer you can nurse exclusively the better. Is hunger likely the cause of his sleep issues? He is 16 pounds and in the 75% for weight, so I'm thinking his body might demand more calories sooner because he is a bigger baby. Is there anything I can try before I do rc? Any help would be appreciated! Also, if you read this blog and I don't know you, please feel free to comment! I've been loving the comments from the previous post and welcome anyone and everyone to join in on the discussion!

7 comments:

LindseyStrickland said...

Honestly, Addie started waking up MORE when we started solids. There are probably more calories in your breast milk anyway! You can give it a try... it's more of a fun intro to a new texture in the beginning and not really a regular source of nutrition. He may love it or may want nothing to do with it!

THE DARLSON'S said...

In my opinion IT IS TIME to start solids and I bet your pediatrician would agree. Adalie, Claire's son Jack and my friend Celia's son Samuel ALL started solids around 4 months and the main reason we all knew it was time was because the sleep patterns changed and they were a bit more fussy in the evening.... Jack and Sam were exclu. breastfed and above the 75% for weight and still needed something extra.

At first, I gave Adalie just rice cereal and then about two weeks later I started mixing in veggies and then a little later fruits. At about 6 1/2 months I introduced meats.

Hope this helps. Call me if you have any questions.

Meghan

Katie Hatcher said...

Oh yes girl, it is time! It is true that he may not eat much from the spoon and consequently not have his hunger satisfied. But here are two things you can do: One, give the cereal first then nurse him. You will have to do this before he gets really hungry, or if he's like Brooke, he will fly into a fit of rage because you are not feeding him. (He won't realize yet that cereal will satisfy his hunger.) Two, you can dissolve a bit of rice cereal in his bottle. Just put a couple of teaspoons in a bottle of breastmilk and let it sit for an hour or two. The enzymes in the breastmilk break down the cereal so that it becomes liquid. He will be getting a more filling bottle without even realizing it. We did that with Brooke, and she was so full for so long that we had to stop b/c she wasn't drinking enough milk. (With her we HAD to wake her up during the night to feed her due to her heart problems and small size. You have the opposite--a big boy who needs to sleep through the night and get his rest!)
Let us know how it goes!

nrsimone said...

Olivia started waking a lot more for no reason a couple of weeks ago when she was about PArks age. It passed after a week though and she got back on schedule. Personally, this second time around I am dreading all solids and want to to put it off as long as possible. I like nursing and when they can eat table food and I hate the phase in between. This has nothing to do with nutrition, but with hassle though. Does that make me sound terrible? Maybe I just want to keep her a baby longer...

ClaireWilliams said...

The SAME EXACT thing happen to me with Jack, my opinion is, it's time to start. I started Jack at 4 mths....and my peditrician and fellow moms (including meg) all said its time and sure enough he went back to being a happy, sleeping baby. You just do RC with breast milk or formula for a few wks and then veggies, then fruit and Jack is 7 mths and eats 3 jars of earths best org. a day (veg and fruit only)and im still nursing. Im holding off on meat for awhile. Hope that helps.

Kristie said...

I don't know if you remember me from the No Other Gods online Bible study...I was the other Wahoo. I think you should hold off if you can. A lot of babies start sleeping worse/waking more due to some mental development that disrupts their sleep. (Even in your commenters others seem to gave experienced this.) Check this out for more: www.askmoxie/2006/02/as_what_are_sle.html

Basically, his sleep may just get better on it's own when he's 5 months and you can stick with your feeding plan. I really love the book recommended in the above linked post, Wonder Weeks. It helps explain why your baby is suddenly fussy or clingy or not sleeping through the night.

Kristie said...

Sorry...that should say that many babies start waking more often at four months. (I'm posting from my iPod while I do a midnight feeding and didn't proof well.)