Tuesday, June 9, 2009

monday night ER visit

Jackson and I have had a hard time lately finding time to spend together. He has had a crazy busy work schedule and he also moved our furniture out of our house in Charlottesville this past weekend with a buddy. He has been exhausted and our quality time has been close to nil. Sunday night, after a day of moving furniture and driving a Penske truck, Jackson asked me to look at a bug bite he had on his leg. It looked normal, like a spider bite or something. Bigger than a mosquito bite, but not inflamed or scary looking. Then Monday night after he finally got home from work and unloading the moving truck, he asked me to look at his leg again. This time, I gasped when I saw it. His upper thigh was so swollen, it looked like a baked potato was in his leg. The bite was on his back leg and the swelling wrapped around his entire leg to the front. It was so startling!

Now, I was scared, but I've also been accused of being a "medical alarmist" so I tried to be calm and I said what any 21st century wife would say, "Let me go google some stuff". So I proceeded to google poisonous spider bites. I was really thinking he got bit by a brown recluse or a black widow or something. After making my amateur diagnosis I was on the fence between waiting until the morning or going to the ER, which was our only choice at 9:00 at night. We went downstairs and told my mom what was going on and she said "You need to go to the hospital, it could be the flesh eating type of bite!" The words "fleshing eating" got Jackson's attention really quick and he agreed we needed to go.

Well good thing we went! After taking one look at this bite, the doctor said, "It's a good thing you came in, this is infected." Yikes! So poor Jax is on antibiotics and we will be keeping a close eye on the leg to make sure it doesn't get worse.

But, the moral of the story is, if you have a profusely swollen leg, go to the ER...AND...if your marriage is strapped for quality time, a visit to the ER should give you about 4 hours to sit and talk :)

5 comments:

esther lee said...

My older brother Nathan was bitten by a brown recluse when he was in high school and was on antibiotics to keep the infection from spreading. They also did compresses with baking soda paste (just enough water added to make a paste) but what really caused it to heal in the end was when he was rough-housing and was accidentally punched on the location of the bite (his upper hip) which caused everything to explode. Something else you can do to bring out the toxins is a flax seed compress. Boil whole flax seeds until it becomes jelly like and then place it on the spot as hot as he can handle. Hope this helps.

mallory said...

Wow thats excellent advice! We will definitely try this. Thanks!

ClaireWilliams said...

Oh my!!! I'm glad everything is okay now! ;)

Megan said...

Aw poor guy. Any idea what bit him? I'm glad it was Jackson though, I read your title and thought about sweet baby Parks. Jax works so hard, he doesn't need an infection like that.

Grams said...

I'm so sorry that happened but so glad you handled it like you did. I feel so bad for Jackson, but, yes, like Megan, I'm relieved for Parks. I thought the same thing!