Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Oh, to be young again...

Now before you erupt into laughter because I am only 23 years old and posting about being young again....hear me out.

I have recently become very aware that I have entered into an entirely new phase of adulthood. Living here at my parent's house I've gotten to spend time with my baby sister who is heading off to Belmont in the fall for her first year of college! I cannot believe it, the littlest Rigell is all grown up! But seeing her and her friends has reminded me of such a sweet time in my life. A time when your biggest concern is what outfit to wear to the big concert that night. Property tax: what's that? Mortgage payment: Nope. Health/car/life insurance: Huh? Capital Gains Tax: What in the world? The list goes on and on...

Such is life for a teenager, blissfully fancy free. For me, that youthful ignorance of the real world slowly faded away. First, I went to college and I started paying bills and I had a budget every month that I managed. Then, I got married and we managed our finances and the words property tax, health insurance, IRA etc. entered my vocabulary. Then, we had a baby and the words life insurance, will, and college tuition (gulp!) entered my vocabulary. About a year ago I remember feeling like I was carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders with all these "adult" responsibilities. I realized that everything had changed and I was now fully an adult, there was no turning back.

I think it is fun to look back on my teenage years and remember what a carefree time that was in my life. But I wouldn't trade where I am now for anything. I think that as you get older, the responsibility does increase. So does the potential for stress, hardship, disappointment and loss. But along with those things I think your capacity for joy, love and appreciation also increase. There is a depth of life that you get with age that I wouldn't trade for my carefree teen years. I know this may sound silly at my age. But let's face it, the average 23 year old has not been married for 2 years, bought, renovated and sold a home, had a job and had a baby. I'm certainly way behind most people, but I've experienced a good dose of "adult life" I would say.

Does anyone else feel like they have crossed over into adulthood? What's your favorite thing about being an adult? What do you miss about being younger? It can be scary and exciting all at once.

7 comments:

Gillian said...

I'm barley 22 but I've been married almost a year, bought our first home, and been financially independent. I can only thank God for our countless blessings. I rather have finances to worry about any day when it means I can live with the love of my life. I do miss my high school body though...

THE DARLSON'S said...

I miss sleeping in!! Most days we are up by 7:30 and out the door by 9am. I miss the days of endless tv watching in my PJ's.... I guess I can do this when Adalie goes to college :)

Rachel C Morgan said...

I miss not thinking about money! When I wanted something, I asked my parents. That was all! Now I have to stop and think if I really want to spend the money or if I'd rather save it toward something bigger, extra mortgage payments, rainy days, etc.

christa said...

My sister is searching for a home with girlfriends in Arlington, VA. Its hard to believe its been 5 years since I lived there!

I wholeheartedly agree with you when you say " I think that as you get older, the responsibility does increase. So does the potential for stress, hardship, disappointment and loss. But along with those things I think your capacity for joy, love and appreciation also increase."

Thanks for sharing.

mallory said...

I can totally relate to everything yall miss! Sleeping in, a 16 year old metabolism and not thinking about money are things of the past for me too :)

Bryceleigh said...

i miss dining at outbackkk about 4x's a week and getting some yummy sweet chooks and bloomin onions and dousing everything in sauces!!!! mwuahaha

Gillian said...

Mallory---could you do a post on deciding whether or not you are ready for kids? My husband and I are in the process of praying and deciding what is best for our family. Did you and your husband go thru this? Did you read any good books on it? Thank you!