Thursday, July 16, 2009

For Such a Time as This

Most people I know are concerned about the direction our nation is currently headed. The problems we face are serious with lasting consequences and it seems that Congress thinks the solution is more government, more programs and more spending. I don't think this is the answer. We are straying from our roots and we are creating a government that I think our Founding Fathers would have difficulty recognizing. At times, I get discouraged and don't have much hope. After all, what can I do? In the past three months, someone has set an incredible example for me that has given me great hope. My father, Scott Rigell, has decided to run for Congress.



My dad is the ideal candidate for Congress. He is a small business owner, employing 240 people in Hampton Roads, with the experience necessary to restore real fiscal discipline to Congress. He understands that small businesses are the backbone of our economy and that we desperately need to help support them, not make things difficult for them. He will be a fervent advocate for small businesses in Washington. As a lifelong Republican, he has proven his commitment to conservative principles by financially supporting and volunteering for dozens of Virginia Republicans since the early 1990s including Bob McDonnell, George Allen, Mark Earley, Jim Gilmore and Oliver North. He summed up the current problem in Washington by saying this:

"There is a serious breach of duty taking place in Washington today, one that carries with it profound consequences affecting every American. Congress, which is the branch of government that has the final responsibility for our nation’s budget, is failing. It is recklessly spending and borrowing, the heavy burden of which will rest on our children, and their children."


My dad is running for me, for my brother and sisters, and for Parks. He is running because he feels a generational duty to pass on a better America to us. He sees that our country is in need of good, principled leadership and he is willing to make a sacrifice and go forward. He will do what he thinks is right and stand firm in it. I have seen him make difficult decisions and solve complex problems with wisdom, strength and grace. He is able to see the big picture and he has a vision for our great country.

I promise you, this will not turn into a political blog. But, it is a huge part of my life right now so I wanted to share it with you and give you an opportunity to help support my dad if you feel called. He will be such a breath of fresh air in Washington!

This race will be in November of 2010, but first he must be chosen to be the Republican nominee. That will most likely happen through a primary or caucus in June 2010.

The best way to support him right now is on Facebook. Please join our Scott Rigell for Congress group and his Politician Page and invite your friends. You are making an investment in better government!

Also, check out his website! There is a great video on the home page of his site where you can hear what his family and friends have to say about him.


4 comments:

Megan said...

Woohoo! So fun to this turn into reality. Los Dos Daubertos will stand behind your daddy and will pray for the Lord's blessings to be upon him. Hopefully we, too, will one day join in the political scene to help push our country in the right direction!

christa said...

Wow - amazing! Are you the campaign manager because you would be awesome at that! :-)

Grams said...

Well written, Mallory. How could just this part of your blog be inserted in the mail? I would love to send it to some people. Maybe you could write it for another source, too, that could be forwarded or something? You are so savvy, you know what I mean, I just don't know how to do it.

Jaime said...

Mark and I are thrilled! We are behind your Dad all the way!