Friday, July 17, 2009

The Skinny on Skinny Dip

So I've taken it upon myself to write reviews of some local restaurants and stores that I frequent. I have not been solicited to write my opinions but hopefully they will help or at least entertain someone, somewhere.


(photo taken from Skinny Dip blog)

First up, Skinny Dip: a frozen yogurt place at Hilltop Plaza (the shopping center with the new Trader Joe's).

First Impression: Slightly confused. I had heard that you 'make your own' fro-yo dessert here but I was a little taken aback by the chaos of the assembly line.

How it Works: You really do make your own treat and it starts with getting your frozen yogurt like you would at a Golden Corral (don't pretend you haven't been to one). Then you pick your toppings. This is where my impression went from neutral to negative. The toppings were NOT impressive. The cookie dough was gross and it was definitely a store-bought pillsbury break and bake dough. It tasted very processed and it was not yummy. They had a shelf with all these syrup toppings like Hersey's Chocolate Syrup and the "Magic Crackle" syrups that people were helping themselves to. It reminded me of a children's birthday party with a bunch of grubby little hands grabbing at the syrup bottles. It was kind of gross and made me think about all the germs that were on those bottles. Yuck. The only redeeming thing in my opinion was the hot fudge and hot caramel. Those were actually good and they were contained in proper, professional looking pumps.

Final Thoughts: This place has created a lot of hype and I was expecting something pretty cool. Having lived in C-ville I have been spoiled by Arches I guess. Skinny Dip did not live up to my expectations. The whole place had a very home-spun feel to it with the DIY syrup bottles and assembly line. It seemed a bit pricey as well, it was almost $10 for two. They weigh your treats and that is how they determine the price. The actual frozen yogurt was tasty. I'll give them that. I just didn't like the atmosphere and chaotic vibe.

Rating: 2.5 stars


Have YOU been to Skinny Dip?? Thoughts? I wish we had a Pinkberry here!

4 comments:

LindseyStrickland said...

There must be something in the air. I've been daydreaming of Pinkberry all day long and even looked at the franchise link on their website last night!

Rachel C Morgan said...

How about writing a post on good, but somewhat healthy desserts! Personally, I come from a traditional southern family who uses a stick of butter (at least) in EVERY recipe. It becomes overwhelming when you start to look at websites because there's so many recipes and you never know which ones to trust!

mallory said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rhonda said...

I'm with you, Mallory. Skinny Dip is pricey and the only good toppings are....the hot fudge and the hot caramel!!! They did have a scrumptious York Peppermint Patty flavored frozen yogurt that was good. But Hershey's chocolate???? I can get that at home! Good review.