Monday, August 3, 2009

Has anyone noticed???

Has anyone noticed the new breed of mothers emerging? Or maybe it's not new at all, but rather an re-awakening of a dying breed. I'm referring to this "Super Mom" that I'm seeing pop up all around me. Maybe you've seen it too. I would characterize these Super Moms in more or less the following way:

  • They live frugal lives. A la Money Saving Mom who feeds her family on $40/week! Are you kidding me???
  • They live green lives. Recyle? Check. Organic eating? Check. Natural, home-made cleaning products? Check. Re-usable grocery bags? Check.
  • They have their own gardens and grow their own food.
  • They sew. As in, make their own curtains and kids clothes kind of sewing.
  • They breastfeed, often past the first year.
  • They cloth diaper. (thanks to Megan for reminding me of this one!)
  • They make their own baby food, I'm sure without salt and sugar :)
  • They blog! Often with large, large followings.
  • They are all practically professional photographers!
  • They do cool crafts with their kids, often like 4 kids under age 6 or something.
  • They homeschool.

Whew, I'm exhausted just writing that! These women amaze me. I walk a fine like between admiring them and letting them inspire me and then agonizing over how inferior I am to them and how I will never be able to do all those things. I just not a naturally crafty, grown-my-own-food kind of girl...so when I read about these women I'm very impressed. Has anyone else noticed this resurgence of domesticity? Another thing I've noticed....most of them are college-educated, bright, intelligent women--choosing to stay home and make their career nurturing their family. Very interesting...I like what I see. I'm going to go try to learn how to take better pictures with my little point and shoot camera :)

7 comments:

Megan said...

You forgot cloth diapers and strenuous exercise routines...I feel like I'm doing good if I get a shower AND makeup on AND blowdry my hair

Meghan said...

Yea, I see these Momma's! More power to them! I'm just trying to get through the day.

mallory said...

You're RIGHT they do cloth diapers! I'm adding that on!

esther lee said...

I see these women all over the place.

And it inspires me. And scares the crap out of me.

I don't even have a kid yet.

I think they all have top notch organizational skills.

Gillian said...

I am not going to lie, I am loving this resurgence of domesticity. I wonder if these super moms were always there but with the increase in the techy (blogs) we are finally hearing about them more. My mother-in-law is one of them (7 kids the youngest being an adorable 5 year old) It is a lot to live up to but I am going to do my best to be a super mom of my own choosing to my future child. Mallory, I definitely think you are well on your own way to being one yourself.

Hutch & Meg said...

Just found your blog through Megan Rathbones! You forgot...they do alternate vaccination routes. I can only laugh because some of these are true of me!

Hope you're doing well!

mallory said...

Meg,

Yes! I forgot that too! So true. I'm excited about MB's shower this weekend!