Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Going Green: Part 1

I've been inspired to "go green" in a couple areas of my life recently.  I love the blog Simple Mom and read it regularly.  A few months ago the author wrote about how she has totally ditched shampoo and conditioner as well as face wash in exchange for totally natural cleansers.  At first I was like are you kidding me?  But the more I thought about it I realized I had absolutely nothing to lose by trying it and lots to gain. 


Why would someone even consider doing this?  Three reasons.  


1.  The chemicals in our toiletry products are dangerous.  Many have been linked to causing cancer and whatever we put on our skin gets absorbed into our bloodstream.  So really, you could argue that if you wouldn't eat it, you probably shouldn't put it on your skin. 


2.  It's really, really cheap. 


3.  It apparently gives you great hair.  Many people have said that their hair is now full of body and easy to style and looks the best it has ever looked!




The "shampoo" is made with baking soda and water and the "conditioner" is apple cider vinegar.  I know, crazy!! Cheap, cheap, cheap girls! I tried it this morning for the first time and I was pleasantly surprised.  I made sure my hair was nice and dirty before I tried it and the baking soda actually cleaned my hair!  I thought for sure it wouldn't feel clean and it would smell weird but my hair looked and smelled really clean! 


The basic "recipe" for the shampoo is 1 tablespoon of baking soda to one cup of water.  You can use more or less baking soda depending on your type of hair, I think I will use more next time.  You just massage your scalp with it and let it sit for a minute or two and then rinse it our like normal.  


The conditioner is also 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to one cup of water. You just pour this on your hair and then rinse it out.  It doesn't leave a funny smell at all it and it detangled my hair really well.  


Now, apparently our body's oil production is a lot like nursing: supply and demand.  So I've heard there is an adjustment period of about 2 weeks to this natural system where your body produces more oil because it's so used to having it stripped away by the detergents in our shampoos.  I'll keep you posted on how this new system works for me, but as of today, I'm pretty excited about the idea of going shampoo free! 









This is my hair after the baking soda/apple cider vinegar cleansing, and remember, it was gross before this! 


The facial cleanser is called the "Oil Cleansing Method" and I'm going to try this tonight.  You mix castor oil and sunflower seed oil together and massage it on your face and then put a hot cloth over your face and do a mini steam-facial.  I've heard wonderful things about this method and I'm really excited to try it.  A lot of people with acne have had success doing this method so we'll see! This method takes off make-up as well as cleans your face.  

Also, while in the health food store I asked someone about my knee pain after running and she suggested I take tablespoons of flaxseed oil.  This stuff is sick!  It tastes so nasty I had to chase it with apple juice.  But I did some research and apparently it's extremely good for you and has a host of benefits.  Here's to good health! 



Are you shocked yet?  I am shocked at myself.  I would have NEVER imagined myself washing my hair with baking soda but hey, times are hard and I'm feeling up for a challenge these days :) Would you ever try the baking soda method?  How have you surprised yourself lately? 

5 comments:

esther lee said...

Love it! Bob's Red Mill has aluminum free baking soda and powders. I just ordered from their site but I'm pretty sure you can get it from Organic Depot, too!

anna said...

I saw the simple mom blog a while back and tried this. I am surprised, but they both work! Miss seeing you in CVille!

Kristie said...

I swapped out my shampoo and conditioner for baking soda and vinegar about 6 months ago. I too was pleased with the results. I didn't really have any adjustment period and I also found I don't need to wash my hair as often. I'd like to try that oil wash, I'll see if I can find some castor oil in Taiwan...

(ps..I also swapped out all my cleaners for baking soda and vinegar. it's nice to be able to do my cleaning (1) with the kids around/on top of me, and (2) without getting a headache from the chemicals.)

Megan said...

Metro Marta? Is that you? Wow sister, that's a big change to make. I'm not sure if I would trust it to keep my highlights healthy. :) Please let us know how it goes for you. Your hair looked great in the pic!

esther lee said...

Ah! Sorry to be a comment hound, thought you might enjoy this 15 Unconventional Uses for Honey :
http://lifehackery.com/2009/02/02/15-unconventional-uses-for-honey/