Friday, November 20, 2009

Going Green: Part 2

So I've done the Baking Soda/Vinegar hair thing for 3 days straight and unfortunately, I've already come to a verdict on it.


Here's the good:  It actually works.  It truly cleans your hair with no funny smells or anything.  It's very easy and inexpensive to make.


Here's the bad:  The vinegar doesn't condition my hair very well.  My hair is already prone to dryness and breakage because I color it and I was not pleased with the vinegar rinse.  I also have some concerns about the baking soda on my highlights.  I couldn't notice a direct change from 3 washes, but I just have a feeling it's probably not the safest thing to be putting on my color.


My Verdict:  If I had natural hair (no highlights, dye, etc)  I might actually use this. I think it would work well if your hair was already pretty balanced.  Because of my highlights though, I don't think it is going to work well for me.




However....


I am LOVING the Oil-Cleansing Method for my face!  


It is such a luxurious way of washing your face.  It forces you to take a mini-retreat at night.  It's so relaxing. I didn't talk much about this in Part 1 but you mix castor oil and a fatty oil like olive oil of sunflower seed oil together.  The ratio depends on your type of skin.  I use 3 parts castor oil to 1 part sunflower seed oil.  If your skin is balanced or dry, use equal parts or 1 part castor oil to 3 parts fatty oil.


You put about a quarter size of the oil on your hand (freshly washed of course) and massage the oil on your face for about a minute.  It  brilliantly takes off make-up and stubborn eye make-up.  Then, you get a washcloth soaked in hot water and place it over your face and let it steam until it comes to room temperature.  This helps the castor oil draw all the impurities out of your skin and clear your pores.  Then you gently wipe the oil off your face with the washcloth and voila, you're done!  The best part is your skin is so perfectly balanced because olive oil has the exact same pH as your skin, you don't even need moisturizer.  Your skin feels perfectly clean and perfectly moisturized.  Not dry and tight like mine used to feel after I used even a gentle cleanser.


You only do this once a day, in the morning you just wipe your face with a warm washcloth and apply a little moisturizer if needed.  I'm loving the results so far, I'm going to give it more time to see if I notice any more or less breakouts.


There's my update!

2 comments:

Jaime said...

I can't handle the vinegar baking soda. I cling to my blonde glam. :) HA! As for the castor oil...one of the ladies at that wedding I did in Nellysford swore by it. Her skin was gorgeous. I'm getting some. BTW, I also forgot to mention that I am exclusively using Bare Minerals for makeup these days. MK is history.

Rachel C Morgan said...

I've actually tried both of these before and neither one were good for my hair. I have thick, curly hair. The baking soda dried it out way too much and the vinegar did nothing for me. My hair needs thick, biolage conditioning balm to tame the tresses! Maybe the vinegar is good for people who can't use heavy conditioner because they have fine hair???