Friday, November 20, 2009

Product Review: Tom's of Maine Deodorant

In my "going green" kick I decided to try a popular aluminum-free deodorant: Tom's of Maine.   I've heard aluminum (the main active ingredient in deoderants and anti-perspirants) has been linked to breast cancer so I was interested in trying one without aluminum.




The verdict:  This "deodorant" did not work for me at all.  Without getting into the details, we all know what deodorant is supposed to do and it did not do it for me.  It is important to note that this is only a deodorant and not an anti-perspirant so I did not expect total dryness.  This isn't a big problem in the winter months so I decided to give it a shot.  Well, I simply cannot continue to use it!  It's a tough decision though: possibly contributing to future breast cancer OR having b.o. your entire life!  At the risk of sound horribly shallow, I cannot go through life with b.o.


Rating: 0 stars


Does anyone know of any other aluminum-free deodorants that actually work??   

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yeah. That deodorant stinks. Literally.

Megan said...

my mom always trys to get me to use that because of the aluminum thing. I concurr, its is worthless!!! It does not work at ALL

Justin and Lindsey said...

Hi Mallory,
I'm friends with Lindsey Strickland and found your blog on her blogsite. Enjoy reading your postings. My husband and I use Arm and Hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant. I've been able to find this in most Harris Teeter stores, but you might need to order online. It works great! I sweat, but don't smell.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00289DQ48

Hope this helps in your green pursuit!

Jaime said...

THE CRYSTAL!!! It works. Carrie Boutin told me about it. She said it was the only one that works and it does. Just be sure to apply it right when you get out of the shower. It lasts forever too.

mallory said...

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Rachel C Morgan said...

I don't know what cleaning products you use, but when it comes to washing windows outside, warm water, a drop of soap, and some vinegar gave me absolutely amazing results! We used a squeegee and then towel to make it perfect. It was fast, easy, and cheap! Plus, it doesn't kill your grass or landscaping like some products do! You've probably heard of this, but I didn't know if you've tried it. I give that green cleaning an A++

The Hansens said...

A couple years ago I started getting allergic reactions to the aluminum in deodorants. I've tried a handful of unsuccessful products, like Tom's. One that I have founds works best fighting odor and is very long lasting is Dr. Hauschka Fresh scent. It is a liquid roll on, is a bit expensive ($20), and has a different scent - smells like herbs- but works very well and the bottle lasts forever.

The Kelleys said...

I tried it too and found that it actually made me smell worse. so - just to chip in.