Saturday, December 19, 2009

nap time transitions

Calling all moms!

When did your baby stop taking two naps (morning and afternoon)?

How did you know it was time to drop the morning nap?

Once you dropped the morning nap, what time did the afternoon nap begin?

I don't think Parks is ready to drop his morning nap but I do think it is on the horizon. He is currently sleeping from 7:30 pm to 6:30 am every night. Then he naps from about 9:30 to 10:30 and then again from about 2:00 to 3:00.

I'm kind of looking forward to dropping the morning nap because it opens up more time for activities and playdates and outings. I'm also hoping for a longer afternoon nap as a result of dropping the morning nap. Some moms tell me their kids nap for like, 3 hours! That sounds heavenly!!!

Thanks for sharing your experience! I love hearing from other moms!

5 comments:

THE DARLSON'S said...

Hi Cousin!

Happy holidays! Adalie dropped her morning nap around 12 months. It was a combo of her morning naps getting shorter and shorter and wanting to get out and do activities in the morning. She now naps from 12pm- 2 or 3pm. When your ready to phase out the morning nap just push 15 mins later every couple of days and soon it will be gone and you will have your morning back! Hope it helps....

Megan said...

Hey Mal! Noah is starting that transition as well. He takes about a 2 hour nap mid morning and an extremely short one in the late afternoon. So what I am trying to do is to push back the mid morning nap (to eventually get it around 12 or 1). And then completely eliminate the late afternoon one. He typically goes to bed between 7:30 and 8 when he takes an afternoon nap or closer to 7 if he does not. I love having 2 hours at a time, its great.

Blair said...

Mallory...We struggled with this for a long time. Kate started out waking up around 7:30am and with 2 naps we would put her down around 8pm. I would try one nap a day every few days but it just destroyed Kate and I didn't think it was worth it. At our 18 month dr's appt I talked with Kate's doctor because she had been waking up at night again and she said I should just try it more. From that day, I have been putting her down for one nap. I started putting her down at 11:00am and the naps varied, some days she would sleep for an hour, some days for 2 1/2. I slowly have pushed it back 15 minutes at a time and she now, a month later, goes down around 12:15 or so and consistently sleeps for 2-2.5 hours. Now, with the one nap, she goes down between 7 and 7:30pm and sleeps until 6:30 to 7am. Hope this helps!

mallory said...

Great feedback! Thanks guys, this really helps!

Burrtotheitknee said...

i used to babysit for my uncles twins and they took two naps, after about a year to year and a half they switched to just afternoon naps which would last from about 2pm to 4:30 or 5 pm. Then they would go down for bed again at 8 or 8:30 and probably sleep till about 7:30 am. Dont know if that helps.