Saturday, January 30, 2010

taking the plunge


I never thought I would do this but, I'm doing it. I'm signing up for my first ever CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) from a local Virginia Beach farm,
Skipper Farms to be exact.

This is basically like a "farm share" where every week I will go the Farmers Market and pick up a basket of local, in season produce from the farm with my name on it. I don't pick what we get it's simply whatever is in season at the time. I will have to create my meal plan for the week around what's in the basket! I am so excited to do this. I think it's going to be really challenging, rewarding and fun. Challenging because we will be eating what is in season and that might include things like beets and radishes and things that are out of my culinary comfort zone. Rewarding because we will be supporting our local farmers and sustainable agriculture and NOT the big, bad food industry!

I watched "Food, Inc.", a documentary on the food industry in the U.S., this weekend and it is disturbing to put it mildly. I highly recommend it. Our food industry is whack. I'm more convinced than ever that the food we eat in America is contributing to a wide variety of health ailments. So I want to do what I can to eat the healthiest foods we can afford, even if it means trucking out to the Farmers Market 30 minutes away every week.

It is my intention to be more aware of what we're putting into our bodies to be better stewards of what God has entrusted to us, especially now with a child. It is not my goal to elevate healthful living to an idol status and inappropriately prioritize it in our life, which is definitely a danger in our culture I think. I read an article from a natural, whole food eating mama blogger and she gently reminded her readers that God has numbered our days already. He is the one who truly sustains us, not our efforts to be healthy. So, it is with that hopefully balanced perspective that I embark on this local, natural food journey! If you live in the area, consider participating in the CSA. It's remarkably affordable (although you do pay up front for May-October). It equals about $75/month for all your produce--trust me, I know grocery store prices and that's not bad.

Watch Food, Inc. it's fascinating!

Bon Appetit!


3 comments:

THE DARLSON'S said...

Claire keeps telling me to watch that movie! She loved it as well, very eye opening it seems. I wish we had something like that around here.... is there a website to search markets nearby?

Betty said...

Hi Mallory - If you REALLY want to get close to the earth, I have kale, and mixed greens (turnip, hanover, and mustard) in my garden. Come down and pick some. You can get enough to blanch and freeze. - Betty Mills

Alyson said...

Hey Mallory! I saw "Food, Inc." too - I strongly recommend Michael Pollan's book, "The Omnivore's Dilemma," if you liked the documentary. The first two parts are excellent (I wasn't really crazy about the third). In addition to promoting local sustainable produce, it details the lives of the animals we get food from and links their quality of life to ours. For me, it was a huge eye-opener. Hope you are well! The new photos are adorable! xoxo