Tuesday, February 1, 2011

baby steps

I read lots of blogs that emphasize "green" living among other things.  These blogs inspire me but they can also make me overwhelmed.  Some of these women make their own cleaners, shampoo and deoderant for crying out loud...whaaa???  I've realized that in order to make any lasting changes, you must start small.  

For example, these are my two healthy changes for the year.


#1.  Drink 8 glasses of water a day.  Seriously, this may sound simple, but it's really not.  Drinking 8 glasses of water does not feel natural at all.  It feels like you have to constantly be drinking water, like forcing it down.  My midwife told me you know you're properly hydrated when you can't see your urine in the toilet.  Ummm...sorry for the gross vision, but whose urine is totally colorless?  I've been tracking my water consumption every day and usually I drink 7-9 glasses of water and I've really noticed a difference in how I feel.  I'm less tired, my skin is clearer and I know it's good for me and my baby.  I plan on continuing post pregnancy.


#2.  Coffee Makeover.  Every morning since my junior year of college I've had coffee with a splenda (or two) and some kind of flavored creamer like Coffemate or International Delight.  During pregnancy I still have one cup a day.  Well, after doing some research I decided this chemical cocktail is no healthy way to start my day.  I have switched to organic coffee, organic raw cane sugar and organic half and half.  I can't say I have noticed a big difference in how I feel, but I just know I'm so much better off not ingesting chlorine, aka splenda, on a daily basis.  Yes, I do miss the flavors of my previous creamer and the coffee does taste a little plain, but I know I'll adjust.  If you use these creamers look at the label of ingredients, it's scary.  We have a Keurig and I discovered that the organic coffee is the same price as regular coffee and apparently there is not very good regulation on chemicals used in processing coffee, so if you can get organic, it's the better way to go.

Those are my two things, that's it, just two.  Like I said, it's all about baby steps.  Are you making any changes to your lifestyle this year? 

3 comments:

Megan said...

I have been trying to make-over my coffee too. I am exactly like you-splenda and scary chemical creamers. The sugar I can handle but its so hard to knock my addiction to the creamers. I think I am going to have to wean...But you are right about the chemical cocktail. Yikes! Why do chemicals have to be so tasty?

Laura F. said...

I've been working on the water thing too...it is tough esp when you get busy.

Mama Bear said...

Would chewing ice count towards my eight glasses of water a day? This pregnancy I have a thing for ice! I love my coffee daily, too. I use agave nectar in place of sugar. Tastes the same to me!