Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Not the cat's meow


I have something I need to get off my chest. I'll just come right out with it. I have a small problem with cats that roam the neighborhood and come into my yard. I just don't get it. Why is it socially acceptable for cats to enter other people's yards and it isn't for dogs? I personally think it is not ok for any animal to come into my yard uninvited (except for my neighbor's adorable doggie who we love). What if I'm allergic? What if I don't want your cat peeing in my child's sandbox? What if I have a dog that doesn't like cats? What if I take personal property rights seriously?! I mean, for real. If your cat likes to be outside, get a fence. Why is it ok for cats to roam? I don't get it. If you're a free-range cat lover you're welcome to explain why you think your cat should be able to traipse through your neighbors yards. Let's hear it.

2 comments:

brett baker said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I had never thought of this before. I don't care if cats wander into our yard, but I've never thought about how truly unjust this is. If I weren't an animal lover, I would feel the same way as you do.

Neal said...

We let our cats go outside when I was a kid. When I was 11, my dear cat (I dressed him up in baby clothes and he loved going on stroller rides even!) contracted a disease that doesn't have a vaccine :( We never let our cats outside after that, not even the backyard. They are exposed to so much and it's irresponsible for the owner to let them roam free. Unfortunately once the habit has begun, they will dart when the door opens.

I completely understand not wanting a cat in your backyard. I don't appreciate my neighbor's dog peeing on my grass. It kills the grass and I have all these dead dots in the yard. Drives me nuts! We've mentioned it several times, but they don't seem to care.