Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Do what you can, when you can

I know that making changes with your food is hard.  I remember making Parks' rice cereal.  It was so easy.  Just grab the box, pour it in a bowl, mix with water or formula and boom, done.  Reading that a soft-cooked egg yolk with grated liver was a more nutritious option seemed over the top.  I was thinking, "But the rice cereal is so easy."  "How much time will it take?" "Is this really worth it?".  

I want to encourage anyone that feels overwhelmed with switching to real food or making a change with food preparation.  Do what you can, when you can.  Do not try to jump in all at once.  You will feel overwhelmed and defeated if you do too much at one time.  Once you really start researching, it's easy to feel like there is something wrong with every item you purchase from the store.  This is coming from a girl who used to serve Digiorno pizza and pillsbury cinnamon rolls to my husband.  Been there, done the processed food thing. 

It's best to pick one thing to change, and then wait until that change has become well incorporated into your lifestyle.  Also, evaluate the stage of life you are in.  Maybe it's not the right time to jump headfirst into grinding your own flour or sprouting seeds.  That's ok.  Take baby steps and wait until you have the bandwidth to do more.  There are lots of changes I want to make but I know that I need to take it slowly.  I'm hopeful by the end of the year I'll have made Kombucha, lacto-fermented veggies, and nailed down a good sprouted bread recipe for my bread machine.  


Celebrate the changes you are making.  Sucanat over sugar.  Sprouted bread over white bread.  Butter over margarine.  Coconut oil over canola oil.  These are all great changes that will benefit your health.  Take it one step at a time and do what you can, when you can.  

2 comments:

christa said...

I'm going to have to get the Nourishing Traditions book. I passed up the 2 for$10 DiGiorno deal today at the grocery store - thought of you! :-)

mallory said...

Go Christa!! I'm proud of you :) I think you would really enjoy Nourishing Traditions. It's good, solid wisdom on nourishing foods. I've found it so helpful and enlightening.