Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The sun will come out...

tomorrow.  And it has.  Thanks to all of you who encouraged me via note or message or email after my last post.  I was really "overwhelmed" by all of your kind, sincere words of encouragement.  It means a lot to me.  I already feel like the clouds have parted and I can see a ray of sunshine.  Nothing has really changed about my daily life.  My children are still the same :)  But, I am encouraged and I am trying, with God's help, to have a different attitude and perspective about my days and this particular season.  I know the word "season" can sound so trite and overused but once you become a parent you realize there are very distinct seasons in your life with children.  I usually say every six months you are in a totally new season with your kids.  Someone is now sleeping through the night or walking, or talking, or potty training, or starting pre-school, or becoming more independent and thoughtful, etc.  You get the idea.

Anyways,  I don't want to come out preachy on this topic like I've mastered it by any means (!!!) but I have realized that so much of the atmosphere in my home depends directly on my attitude.  If I fall prey to pity partys, defeated thoughts, and wallowing in misery then my home is guaranteed to be a miserable place.  My children definitely feed off my mood and although sometimes my oldest drives me to the breaking point....if I actually break it only gets worse! My pastor just said in his sermon this past Sunday, "Do not let your mind become the devil's dumping ground."  That really stuck with me.  I felt like I had totally let my guard down and was letting all manner of negative thoughts in my mind.  "You're not a good parent".  "What you do all day is not important."  "When will this be over."  I'll tell you right now who these thoughts are NOT from, the Lord.  As my son who say, "Shoo Mr. Devil, be gone!"


I am totally a work in progress.  I have never realized how much pride was an obstacle in my heart until the past year.  This parenting journey has humbled me so much, and trust me, I know there is more work to be done there but I am really trying to surrender my pride to the Lord.  I'm confident one day I'll be back to posting things like this...        








In the meantime, thank you for your encouragement and prayers.

3 comments:

Laura F. said...

Glad to hear the sun is peeking out for you! You are a good mom, remember that ALWAYS!

I totally understand the mood thing...if I'm too stressed my kids are TOTALLY off! Which makes things worse.

Mama Bear said...

So awesome!!

MCD said...

You should download the audio book (who has time to actually read?) Battlefield of the mind by Joyce Meyers. It's a whole book about negative thoughts controlling us and THEY ARE LIES from the devil! I think it would really help you and encourage you. And if you ever want to talk I'm always here.